Over the last 20 years of serving in ministry I have spent much of my preaching/teaching time talking about a Christian’s time alone with God. It seems like lately it comes up in every sermon I preach. Why is that? Why is it so important? Why do I talk about it so much?
Well, over the last couple of years, I have come to realize how important daily communion/fellowship with God is to my walk. I have had a quiet time in some form for 25 years or so. However, in the last couple of years God has shown me more of why time alone with Him is so important.
This past weekend I was out of town with my extended family at a graduation. We had the privilege to stay at a park on Lookout Mountain in Georgia. On Sunday morning I got up and went for a 4 mile hike. I put on a book I was listening to and just went for the hike on the trail. It was a fairly vigorous hike, but more than that it was breathe taking. At some points alone the hike I had to stop and just say, “Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!”
For about an hour or so I listened, prayed, praised, and spent time alone with God. It was so good for my soul. I needed that time away. At the bottom of this post, I have included a picture of a few spots along the trail. I hope these give you just a snap shot into the glory of God and the beauty of His creation.
Now, what does my quiet time and a 4 mile hike have to do with one another? It all has to do with what God has been showing me about my time alone with Him. Here are a few of the takeaways…
- My time alone with God keeps me focused on Him. I get so busy with life, to do lists, and meeting with folks that I can forget what life is really all about. It is about God. When I spend time alone with God, I am reminded that He is God and I am His child. I need that reminder each and every morning.
- My time alone with God washes my heart and mind. I take in a lot of information from social media to movies to in depth coversations. I need what Pastor James McDonald calls “the washing of the Word.” I need God’s Word to wash my mind and set it straight on what is true, right and godly.
- My time alone with God makes me a better follower of Jesus. I am a guy who is trying to figure out what God wants me to do just like the next dude. However, I struggle less at the following, when I spend daily time alone with God.
- My time alone with God makes me a better human being. I can be grumpy. I mean real grumpy at times. I can be a tough person to get along some times. However, when I spend time with God, I am quite literally a better person. If you don’t believe me just ask my wife. She knows.
- My time alone with God grounds my mind in the truth. My mind gets pummeled with all kinds of thoughts each day. I entertain a lot of the enemies lies about myself sometimes. Lies like – you aren’t good enough, you are failing, etc. When I spend time with God, He reminds me that I am His child, He doesn’t make junk and I am accepted in Christ.
I dont’ know where you are. I don’t know if you have a daily time alone with God. I just know from personal experience that if you will make the time, God will show you great and mighty things.
So, I want to encourage you to take time today and spend some time with God. You can do it on a hike or sitting in your chair. Just do it. You will be amazed at the impact it will have on you.