If any of you think that I am about to subject you to pictures of me in a swimsuit, you can breath a sigh of relief. I can barely spell speedo much less wear one. I promise that the blog post below will contain nothing but encouraging words and few family-friendly pictures of our family vacation.
Anyway, this week our family spent a week in Florida on our family vacation. This vacation is the first for us on a couple of fronts. It is the first time I willingly agreed to go on vacation in Florida. Most of the time I protest the idea of sitting in a chair and sweating while my complexion tries to mimic the Red Lobster logo. Also, it is the first time that we’ve taken off a full week from ministry since we started Revolution Church. I know it’s sad, but it’s true.
After a week away there are a couple of things that I’ve learned. Here they are…
1. I needed a vacation more than I realized. The last five years of ministry have not been easy. They’ve been good years, but they have been tough. They’ve been tough, because planting a church is tough work.
2. I needed to reconnect with my family. Over the last few months, I have had several extra duties thrust upon due to the sheer demands of ministry. I needed this time to reconnect with my family and let them know that we are in this together.
3. I needed some perspective. There is nothing better than staring into the vast oceans that God created to gain perspective on how small our problems really are. They are but a drop in the bucket compared to all that God manages.
4. I needed to spend time with God. There are no excuses to not pray and study, when you have nothing to do but chill. Over this past week I have spent quite a bit of time praying, reading and reflecting on my relationship with God. I’ve learned a lot about me and even more about Him.
5. I needed to spend some time with God about the vision of Revolution Church. Over the last few days I have been able to hear from God in a way that I have not in the last few months. I has been refreshing, powerful and exciting. I can’t wait to share with the Revolution Church the things that God has been stirring in my heart.
As a result I am committing to take more time off and away from ministry. I have four weeks of vacation time for next year. I plan on taking all of them in 2015. I will need it, and so will you. So, make vacation a priority. It doesn’t have to cost much at all – ours didn’t.
So, let me roll a few pictures of my family on vacation. I know it’s kinda corny, but bare with me.